Defining success is the first (and one of the most essential) steps in the ‘pre-planning stage’ of any initiative, and should be completed with representatives from multiple stakeholder groups from across the organization.
Defining success is a prioritization activity which begins by identifying all the relevant success factors, and narrowing them down to the most important through a series of evaluation activities. The process consists of:
• Identifying what success looks like for all stakeholders
• Categorizing the potential success criteria based on case-specific categories
• Voting on the most important success criterion
• Rating success criteria based on their overall importance to the project
• Developing actions to ensure each success factor is achieved